Best HIIT Exercises in 2020
Do you want to lose weight and build muscle definition? That’s a rhetorical question — of course you do, we all do! But the idea of doing both simultaneously often seems like a pipe dream. You may think, “I can’t even accomplish weight loss, how am I supposed to do both?” That’s an understandable concern, but it doesn’t have to be one or the other. High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) is one of the best ways to accomplish weight loss and muscle development. In this article, we discuss the HIIT workout, its benefits, the best HIIT exercises in 2020, and the best fitness studio for HIIT workout.
What is High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT)?
High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) is a type of workout in which you alternate high-intensity movements with rest periods. You start with high-intensity movements for a period of time to get your heart rate up. And you follow that with rest periods to catch your breath. HIIT workout is widely deemed to be the best way to lose weight and maximize calorie loss within a short period of time. About 20 minutes of HIIT workout is equivalent to an hour of steady-state cardio.
What are the Benefits of HIIT Workout?
- Weight Loss: HIIT is farbetter at weight loss than traditional steady-state cardio workouts. That’s because you lose about as much calories in 20 minutes of HIIT workout as you do in an hour of steady-state cardio.
- Heightened Metabolic Rate: According to research, you continue losing calories even during rest periods after the workout. This is called the “afterburn” effect, which is officially called excess post-exercise oxygen consumption (EPOC).
- Overall Fitness: In addition to weight loss, HIIT workout also provides other health benefits. It helps with muscle toning, reduces blood sugar, regulates blood pressure, and also reduces heart rate.
Best HIIT Exercises in 2020
There’s a common misconception that HIIT exercises primarily rely on treadmills or running. But that’s not the case, you can incorporate HIIT into various forms of exercises and movements. The following are some of the best HIIT exercises in 2020.
- Sprint Interval: This is a traditional treadmill or track sprint interval training. You start with a 3-minute hog, and then boost your speed to alternate between 20 seconds of high-energy running and 1-minute or rest period for a total of 10-15 minutes.
- Tabata Circuit: This is the ideal means of fusing HIIT workout with strength training. Choose a single challenging bodyweight workout, such as push-ups, pull-ups, crunches, burpees, or any other. Perform the bodyweight exercise for 20 seconds and rest for 10 seconds. Repeat the circuit for 8+ sets.
- Bike Internal: If you want to focus on your quads, hamstrings, and calves, hit the stationary bike. Pedal hard for 30 seconds, and then pedal gently for a 1-minute rest period. Repeat the circuit for a total of 20-30 minutes, depending on your comfort level.
- Sled Push: Load a sled with about 75% of your maximum pushing capacity. And then push the sled as hard and fast as you can for as long as possible. Push until you have no strength left. This is really intense so go for 2 to 3 minutes of rest period, and then push again.
- Rowing Ab: If you want to work on your core and glutes, go for the Rowing Ab HIIT workout. This workout program follows the EMOM format — every minute, on the minute. Set your rower to around 2,000 meters and start rowing as fast as possible. After every minute, get off the rower and do hollow rocks or other challenging core workouts for 5+ reps. After the ab workout, get back on the rower for another minute. Continue this circuit till you’re done rowing the 2,000 meters.
Sweat440: Best HIIT Workout Program
Sweat440 is the best HIIT workout program for those who want to combine high-intensity interval training with strength and core training. We have 40-minute group fitness classes that take you through a series of movements. You have to perform each set of each exercise for a total of 45 seconds, with 15-seconds of rest period. Furthermore, Sweat440 also has different workout modules — Sweat, Shape, Shred, and Warrior. Our goal is to provide HIIT with full-body overall strength training to ensure you lose weight and build muscle simultaneously.
Sweat440 has several HIIT workout group fitness studios in New York and Florida. Our New York Sweat440 gyms are close to landmarks like Flatiron Building and the Federal Reserve Bank of New York. And our Florida Sweat440 gyms are close to Miami Beach. Sweat440 also provides free trial sessions to first-timers.
Your first class is FREE
HIIT Workout at Sweat440
Best HIIT Exercises in 2020
- Sprint interval HIIT workout for high-intensity cardio workout on the treadmill.
- Bike interval HIIT workout for high-energy cardio with leg workout.
- Tabata circuit to combine strength training with HIIT workout.
- Sled push to combine core and strength training with HIIT.
- Rowing ab workout to combine HIIT with core training.
Sweat440 HIIT Workout Locations
- Miami Beach, Florida:1916 Bay Rd, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (305) 964-8653
- Coral Gables, Florida:301 Altara Ave, Suite 111, Coral Gables, FL 33146 (305) 964-8653
- Brickell, Florida:25 SW 9th St, Suite G100, Miami, FL 33130 (305) 330-6647
- Downtown Doral, Florida:8395 NW 53rd St, Doral, FL 33166
- Chelsea/ Flatiron, New York:600 Sixth Ave. New York, NY (646) 956-1631
- Financial District, New York:80 John Street, New York, NY